Thursday, September 5, 2013

Back to School

My 3 girls went back to school this week. All are happy with their classes and teachers. We are fortunate to have excellent public schools in our town. As they talked about their new classes, I noticed that many of the things that made their schools welcoming would be equally applicable in church. They have teachers who provide challenge along with support and guidance. Their schools are safe, bright, and in good repair. They are with friends who also value learning. Teachers work to engage kids in learning, using methods that have certainly evolved since I was in school.

In the church context, I have valued priests who challenge my beliefs and mindset, while serving as a support and guide. I appreciate church buildings that are cared for and designed to be inviting. Joining a community of brothers and sisters who also are striving to follow Christ is important. And churches that try new ways to reach out, connect, inspire, and teach excite me.

What parallels do you see between churches and schools? What lessons do our schools offer us as we look to the future of the Church?


Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment