Monday, February 10, 2014

Connecting

I had a nice conversation with the owner of my local gas station/convenience store.

He had an understandable concern about shoplifting. But he was also deeply worried about youth homelessness – he knew the local statistics and often fed people from his store. He discussed the breakdown of groups, talking about the strength of the large Pakistani community around Vancouver, BC.

I've known this man for more than 15 years, as a local who drops in for a beverage now and then. We've been pleasant in the past, but nothing more.

I decided to ask him his concerns about our neighborhood as part of the Community Conversations that OCW has been advocating. I have to confess this was uncomfortable for me, asking questions about how a church might help with issues. It’s not my natural behavior.

But the problem is this: I want to be connected with my neighbors and let them know that I care, that my church cares, and that my faith matters. I’m just going to have to have more conversations, and get comfortable with them.


Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment