Monday, July 7, 2014

The Importance of Religion and What It Takes To Change

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/06/religion-answer-problems_n_5537783.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Here is a newer and interesting take on the perceived possible influence of religion in today’s society. The polling data has many things to say to us. I have to say, though, that I disagree with the last paragraph in the article itself, more of a commentary part rather than data, because I have seen lots of polls and data that show that most organizations (especially Christian ones) are trying to spread messages of NOT compassion and caring, but exclusivity--that their way is the only way to God, and all others are doomed. And that is where the judgment starts with them—into every way one lives their lives.

In other thoughts, I attended recently a church with a worship service and congregation that, I guess, you could say, was dead--at least in my view. Unfortunately, I’m convinced that this is becoming very prevalent among many churches in our country these days. I’m not talking about the worship service words or music, although a couple of other choices might make things seem less “dead”. What I’m talking about is everything about the experience I had—no greeters to talk with any visitors coming in, a church that could seat maybe 300 people with maybe 35 people present spread out all over the church, a total lack of participation by the people in the service, and other than the short healing part of the service and at the Peace, no spark at all from anyone. At the very short fellowship time after the service there was little talking among any of the people, and especially not to me as a visitor, and they cleared out quickly.

Is our worship of God becoming this rote and not meaningful at all? Is this lack of enthusiasm and spirit what we take with us from worship each week back into the world to be the people of Jesus?

There are some simple things that can make this experience I had change a lot. The service can be designed so that all can be much more connected—1) everyone can sit much closer together (even by forcing it), 2) the priest can utilize the church in a much more people-oriented mode, doing as much of the service in the nave rather than in the large sanctuary set apart from the rest of the worship space, 3) shared Prayers of the People, instead of one person reading it all including a list of those in need, 4) several different lectionary readers from the people in the pews, and 5) some music selections that are not what I hear called “dirges” or funeral music. And the quality of what is done in any type of service is important.

But the problem is so much worse than just how the service is designed. These people seem to have given up, maybe are just worn out, tired, and don’t know what to do any more. Without any reason to show any spark in their worship they show none. As much as we want to think it is all about clergy leadership, and that a great new clergy person will totally change this church or any other one, it must be about those who are presently attending to resolve to work with good clergy leadership to make the needed changes and become enthused again about their church community and their call to mission in their community. Nothing short of this will attract anyone else to even attend their church, and this is just the starting point. Getting the right messages and actions about what this church is about with its mission with do the rest. New younger (and even older ) people want a church with meaningful things happening that they can relate and plug into, not just go through the motions with the worship or do what has always been done and offer the same boring jobs in the church. Good inclusion into the ongoing life of the church will go a long way, and these people will need to be met where they are first, which is not likely in the church. And maybe it will not be even about getting them into the church at all, but into the community of believers doing the things Jesus calls us to do, wherever that may be.


Jim

3 comments:

  1. Jim although you don't mention the church I attend by name I know you were talking about us.That was not cool what you wrote for the whole Diocese of Olympia to read.We are trying to change we invited you to our church to tell your story about outside church walls and give us some hope.Very rude of you to put our church down like that.You can believe if I have anything to say about it you won't be invited again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if I offended you with this article. I thought carefully about this before writing and posting, and I did not mention the church's name (still have not!), because I believe this experience is very common to many of our congregations (even non-Episcopalian ones) today. And, that was the mindset I had in writing this--what are we all doing today in our worship and related church experiences that needs to be examined and discerned what to change to really make a difference? I was invited there to provide information and maybe bring a bit of hope, but I think I was also a visitor and it can be useful to understand what one who visits thinks about their experience at your worship and fellowship time. It is obviously your leadership's call whether they want to invite me back for anything--no problem. (I do think we could really have some useful discussions about things as they are now, and together look at what the future could look like.) Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you remember it was a holiday weekend an We had an unusually "dead" Sunday with poor attendance - often is better than that. Greeters were out.Our priest should have considered that before inviting you. It is also Summer time people are on vacation.If it was up to me and it is NOT I would not invite you back.Our church is an older parish I guess you must of thought no one from there would see your post. You did not have to say the church name I was there and no who you were talking about. I still think it was not nice. I am going to share your article with the parish and see if we can do some things you suggested. However it really hurt my feelings.Not everyone wants a peppy church.

    ReplyDelete