Thursday, May 30, 2013

Does the Episcopal Church welcome everyone?

He is in his 50’s and is a maintenance man.  Started coming to the Episcopal Church because he had grown up Roman Catholic and was just tired of Rome’s stance on so many things.   He’s a good guy—high school educated, loves to travel and his favorite travel trips were to a neighboring state to visit family. He decided to go to a social function at his new church.  He was talking with a group of folks over potluck dinner.

The conversation turned to traveling.  Everyone at the table began talking of travels.  The man of course talked of his own trips and how much hunting and fishing trips with family meant to him. 

“Oh, I didn’t mean those kind of… trips,” one person told him.   “I meant REAL traveling on an airplane to a different country.  My friend sat quiet for almost an hour as everyone at the table joined together in conversation about traveling abroad. No one seemed to notice that he wanted to join, but had nothing to say.

We spend a great deal of time talking about race and racism in the Episcopal Church- and that’s good.  We need to be aware of the ways we fall into the sin of racism. However we spend next to no time talking or thinking about class and classism, sexism and heterosexism as a church and the ways that these “isms” might show up and they do show up.

 I think we need to be talking about oppression in all its forms. Race of course is a natural place to start because there is so much damage and reconciliation that needs to take place.  Class flies a bit under the radar as it does not announce itself quite the way race or even gender does.   And because it is not as obvious, we need to have the conversation about how classism shows up in our communities and in our church and the ways we may discount blue collar folk.

  There was a barrier placed in front of my friend that night—a barrier that discounted his experience.  Even though he fit when he walked in the room, he left the room knowing he did not fit.   That’s how classism works so often.  Instead of a good ol’ boy network, there’s a white collar network: where do you summer?   What countries have you visited? I am not saying that any of that conversation is wrong or bad.  What I am saying is that it can become problematic when its an obstacle for others to find their place in that conversation or the experience they have is discounted or perceived as less than. 

I recently attended oppression training where I learned oppression is created when a dominant group chooses to withhold resources -- thus oppression and scarcity go hand in hand.   My mind began to race— about the many sermons I’ve heard and given about abundance, scarcity and God’s Economy.   The implications about abundance and stewardship grew that day for me exponentially.  God of abundance is much larger than I first imagined as I reckoned that oppression and degradation comes out of our smallness, our scarcity thinking rather than the largess of our best true self that is in Christ.   

But maybe you are wondering what does this have to do with my friend the maintenance guy?  The scarcity for my friend was that his offering that night to the conversation was not enough.  He left that dinner feeling pretty small that night.    We might not call this oppression, but it was a barrier. 

The Outside Church Walls Group has been struggling with the barriers we create that keep people as outside or unwelcomed. Why aren’t people here in our church and how do we go about having quality conversations with those not here?   Especially if they think of Christianity in oppressive terms as Christianity and Church are often represented scarcely.    This is yet, another barrier. 

Maybe part of our problem is that the conversations we are having inside the church are hard for outside people to join—for one reason or another.  I think of my friend the maintenance guy who stopped going to church soon after that experience.  I’m sure that the group he sat with was a good- natured bunch that didn’t mean to exclude him but couldn’t find ways to include him and help him feel like he belonged there. 

It is a slog for me going outside church walls. I imagine it is just as much of a slog for those that might be trying to come in.


As this team talks about the many barriers that separate us, including the walls of our church, my hope is that in our learning, we will able to break down a few walls,  and become more mindful of the barriers we can create with our assumptions about people’s common experiences.  I hope we will be come more nimble in receiving the offerings of others like that of my friend’s with a heart for greater and greater abundance.  

George

14 comments:

  1. Lovely start...^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. As the diocese moves to a campaign to raise funds, how will that person feel about the church? Is the church guilty of elitism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt the church has been and continues to be guilty of elitism, although the concept is at least coming to light now. I'm not sure I understand about the diocese moving to a campaign to raise funds - perhaps I'm just not aware of it?

      Delete
  3. And yet, by using the phrase "we may discount blue collar folk" as well as all of the other "we's," you are assuming that the people reading this are themselves part of the way, and are 1) not blue-collar themselves or 2) routinely invited into these sorts of conversations.

    Maybe you should also be looking at ways that people within the church exclude or marginalize their fellow members - who is in power and gets to have conversations like these, and those who aren't and don't?

    Asking those who aren't part of this conversation to join in might be a useful start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't speak for George, but often when I use "we" regarding the Episcopal Church, I recognize I'm making generalities that don't necessarily include everyone. It is useful, however, to be reminded of that.

      One of the reasons for this blog is to create a venue where everyone can participate, and I hope you'll stay involved in the conversation and bring your perspective.

      Delete
    2. Pronouns are loaded aren't they? WE feel this way, YOU do this. This is the beginning of that conversation that you are suggesting. This conversation is a corporate one-- that is it is a "WE" kind of a conversation. It is a team of people hoping to talk with a variety of people; insiders, outsiders of the Episcopal Church. My hope is that we have the chance to do what you suggest-- have that conversation as best as we can given our limitations of the web.
      Individually, I try to make a point of having conversations with folks of all sorts about religion and faith.

      I hope that you will stay tuned and keep raising questions. George

      Delete
  4. You've got a good point, George. Perhaps it would help to practice some variation on "Yes, and ..." in our conversations. So your friend the maintenance man could talk about his family trips to the wilds and have those accepted as real trips and other people could talk about traveling overseas sharing the different beauties that can be found in those different experiences.

    Your talk of the barriers we raise based on class and gender reminds me of another barrier that I've encountered myself. It seems that the church has extreme difficulty accepting and employing the less common spiritual gifts, such as my profound interest in ethics and asceticism, or other lay people who are deeply knowledgeable about church history, scripture, or liturgy. Granted folks like me will almost certainly be sitting within the walls come Sunday, but consistently sitting in the pew sometimes doesn't feel like meaningful participation. Without clerical invitation, pretty much all I can do is write my blog (askbrdunstan.blogspot.com) and comment on social media, and online commenting really doesn't feel like a ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at their best our our faith communities help people identify and utilize the gifts given to them by God, and I hope that isn't bounded by clergy. I for one am glad you find a ministry on social media, because I think people of faith need to be there, authentically. It is definitely a ministry in my mind.

      Delete
    2. Jon,

      Yes And has such HUGE theological implications for Anglicanism-- because it is so much the heart of what we are called to as Yes, Catholic AND Protestant. We need to reach deeper into our tradition. I also long for churches to truly be places where transformation of our gifts is possible-- I am glad that you have an online presence. Let us pray that gifts can be transformed rather than holes in the schedule merely filled in. So often priests end up becoming volunteer coordinators rather cultivators of christian community. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. I feel similarly. I'm middle-aged, but very young at heart, and my passions are social justice and social media. But I have yet to find an Episcopal congregation near me where these gifts would represent a meaningful contribution. I quit the ladies' group because our meetings all seemed to be about organizing our next fundraising project, and niggling over bazaars and bake sales frankly bores me to tears. I quit maintaining the church's website and social media after a congregation survey revealed that not only were most members lukewarm or suspicious about it, but some actually felt we should do away with any online presence altogether! And as we all know, for social media to succeed, it has to be a congregation project -- it doesn't work for just one representative of the church to do ALL the ministry. Finally, I just quit the church altogether. The closest thing I can find near me to the kind of congregation I can really feel part of is a Lutheran congregation, but although I remain connected with them, it's hard to make weekly services due to my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, as I said in another comment above, I think one of the roles of the church is to help people identify and use their God-given gifts. It makes me sad to think you tried to offer your gifts and they were not valued. We have work to do here.

      Delete
  6. Jim Campbell,
    At our small church I find that inclusion or exclusion can be as much about personal interests and daily lives experiences as much as classism. Someone new coming to our church can run up against having different interests in their lives, especially if they are younger, than our majority of older people who attend now. How we at our church respond to some of the first comments and responses from those who visit, can determine whether they will want to revisit or not. Most of us want to be friendly and welcoming to all who enter our doors and worship with us; we someone struggle with how to connect well. I know what is being discussed as classism, and that can occur at our church, too, if we are lazy and focus on ourselves. In fact, as pointed out above, it might be more likely to occur, as we do have a wide range of economic "well-being".
    Something else to discuss among our church people--leaders and others, as we hope to draw more people to be a part of our community of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel blessed with my small church. I've been there about a year and a half - it is an older congregation (average ages are 70s and 80s) - but I was warmly welcomed and feel very much at home here. While all of us have different life experiences, we have things in common and share in each other's joys and sorrows. Helping others who are less fortunate is a large part of our service to the community. I think the important thing is taking time to listen to one another. A friendly welcome is the first step to creating community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have experienced classism at the Episcopal Church and I am "college educated" and the church is in rurual Appalachia! Thank God I am an Athiest.

    ReplyDelete