Thursday, July 11, 2013

How many Episcopalians does it take to change a light bulb?

Three. One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks, and one to complain about how much better the old one was.

While that old joke plays on perhaps outdated stereotypes, it does point out that change can make many of us uncomfortable (indeed, an alternative punch line is simply, “Change?!?”). Yet change need not necessarily be traumatic. It can be as simple as recognizing and adapting to new situations.

Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis, including my closest friends, have never been to church. That’s par for the course in the Pacific Northwest where, according to Professor Samuel Torvend’s research, up to 70% of the population is second-generation unchurched. Put another way, most people in our region are outside church walls and, most of the time, so are we.

I recently asked an unchurched friend of mine, a teacher in her forties, what it would take for her to attend church. I expected a long period of thoughtful reflection, but she answered without hesitation, “historical relevance.”

I asked her to elaborate and she said, “If I lived in Europe, I would go to church every day. There is something about those old buildings and their centuries-old traditions that are attractive. I would know that I was a part of something that had been going on for a long time and continuing into the present. I just couldn’t go to a church in a strip mall.”

Her comments were revealing. The first thing I noticed is a recognition of the European, particularly English, heritage of the Episcopal Church in a country where today fewer and fewer people trace their ancestry and cultural identity to that part of the world. We need to make sure that we are not mired in the past while at the same time preserving the traditions and heritage that make up our identity, and which have served to attract people over time. Frankly, I think we’re uniquely positioned to do this.

One of the strengths of Anglicanism is its ability to adapt to other countries and cultures. It takes on national characteristics, while retaining core values like relying on Tradition, Scripture, and Reason. Episcopalians, as Anglicans, value the via media, and have worked with other traditions to advance common ecumenical goals. I’m proud of that.

As our own country and culture change, it is important that the Episcopal Church lead that change. I think we’re doing just that. Last month, for example, I was at the ordination of new priests at St. Mark’s. The new priests were made up of different ages, ethnic groups, and sexual orientations. The service and materials were in both English and Spanish. Yet the service itself did not reflect any of the individual identities of the priests, who themselves reflect our nation’s changing demographics. Our liturgy is what holds us together, despite individual differences. I’m proud of that, too.

And the service took place in the physical beauty of the cathedral. While I realize that the people are the church, we are fortunate that our buildings, whether simple or elaborate, provide us with a contemplative and dignified setting for worship. I think that’s what my friend was getting at with her comment about not wanting to go to church in a shopping center.

As we have a discussion on how we may need to change or adapt to meet the realities of the 21st Century, I think it’s important that we make sure that we preserve the traditions that have attracted and retained those of us who are already here. In other words, as we engage with those outside church walls we ought not to turn our backs on those within them. In my opinion, our via media is our core strength and the perfect way to go about doing that. The Episcopal Church attracts recovering Roman Catholics and recovering Evangelicals equally well. If we can attract people to our center from those polar opposites, I think we’re doing something right. Our church is big enough for all kinds of viewpoints and lifestyles without having to become identified with any particular one of them. I’d like to see us engage recovering atheists as well, and I think we can.

Two keys to managing change are a beautiful liturgy and the Book of Common Prayer, both of which are carefully crafted to allow for as much diversity of belief and opinion as possible. Episcopalians are not bound by Confessions of Faith or Statements of Belief; that means that we don’t tell people what to think. That’s important, in my view. I believe that’s the historical relevance my friend was talking about; a tradition that is rooted in the past, appropriate to the present, and evolving towards the future. I often joke that the BCP is so carefully worded that it’s possible for two people to pray those prayers while each sincerely hoping for an opposite outcome. I think that’s a strength, and something upon which we can build a solid future.

Nevertheless, we can’t be everything to everyone, and we shouldn’t try too hard. Not everyone will be called to be an Episcopalian, or even a Christian, and that’s OK. We might be Episcopalians, but God isn’t. If we keep that in mind, I think the church will do just fine.

Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment