Thursday, July 18, 2013

Is Church Boring?

“Boring.” When asked what 5 words come to mind when they think about church, this was one of the top responses from people who identify themselves as unchurched. I was surprised that this word rose toward the top of the list.

As a mom of 3, I have often told my kids it’s okay to be bored in church sometimes, but we’re going anyway. I have to admit to being bored sometimes myself on a Sunday morning. I tell myself that church is a welcome and needed respite to the rest of the week, when we are constantly bombarded with distraction and entertainment. Is feeling bored in church a positive signal that your brain and heart are taking a break, that you are about to begin contemplating, praying, and feeling in a way you haven’t had the space to do for the rest of the week? Or has our culture changed so much that we are missing the boat – and are losing the opportunity to reach those who have come to expect more than a sense of boredom on Sunday?

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. I have never had any children, but as the Aunt of 19, and now great Aunt of 22, I often find that is a word kids use when they really don't want to say explain. School is boring, this or that is boring. Don't bother me is what they really want to say, so this is boring sounds much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nece770 - As an after school educator, boring is one of the words I dread to hear from kids. Although I would rather hear it from a kid then an adult. Adults, more or less, can chose to not do whatever they find boring. I agree with you though, boring from a kid is OK. But, if I can add to the idea at hand, I find boring from an adult to be the scary response.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete