Wednesday, January 29, 2014

That Stuff We Forget

As of late, I’ve fallen back on an old habit. Working without a To-Do list. It’s a cyclical idea, for a solid month I’ll be up to my eyeballs in stuff to do, people to call, emails to send, etc. During that time, my to-do list keeps me sane and timely. Once things calm down, my to do list gets a little boring and really unproductive. With so few things on it, I flat out ignore it and nothing gets done.

So recently I made the transition back to not having a list and instead just keeping everything in my mind. That works until I get back to the place where everything ramps up again and it’s all hands on deck. You can see how it spirals.

I might be crazy, but I hope there’s at least one other person out there that does this.

The problem, naturally, is that I tend to forget things that need to be done without a to do list. Or I’ll get it done, but weeks late.

I know I do this, and I've always sought for new fancy ways to keep up with my world. However, this phenomena is not limited to the productivity of the week.

At church this past Sunday, I was struck by the words “Remember me in the breaking of the bread.”

There are some Sundays where not much remembering of Christ goes on. I think all too often we forget that Eucharist is a special thing to remember and to meditate on. I have always found it interesting that in Islam, there is no doctrine of sin as in the Christian church. The closest thing to sin in the Islamic faith is forgetting. Forgetting that you are made by God, in the image of God.

But what if when Jesus asked us to remember him in the breaking of the bread, he wasn’t implying that we had forgotten anything? Google define remember as: have in or be able to bring to one's mind an awareness of (someone or something that one has seen, known, or experienced in the past).

What if the meaning of Christ’s remember is really more like re-member? Re-member yourself to Christ. Re-become a member of the Body of Christ.

As we stretch to move outside the walls of the church, it is important that we recognize that we are the church on more than just an hour every Sunday. A thought of Christ will last about that long, but membership as a part of Him will last forever. As members of Christ we must strive to look outside church walls, not just as people who remember, and forget, and remember, and forget…


Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment