Monday, March 3, 2014

On The Street Where I Live, Please Mind Your Pigeon-Holes

We are in the passageway between the Seasons of Epiphany and Lent; and I could be blogging about passageways, but not today.  I have something else I need to talk about. It’s this; Nones.  I’m making my case here for stamping out the word Nones.  What does Nones mean, really?  None means: nothing, no one, no body, nil.  Somebodies have chosen to pluralize it to Nones as a word to “pigeon-hole” the folks - our neighbors - who have not chosen to identify with any particular religion or religious denomination.  Why in God’s name allow that?  (Look up nones in the dictionary for its accurate definition.)

The street on which I’ve lived for fourteen years is five blocks long.  Our homes along my street are modest.  My neighbors are good citizens, and my neighborhood is relatively stable.  Among my neighbors are an outstanding craftsman, a nationally known artist, a wizard gardener, two exceptional environmentalists, a fun loving country singer- guitarist, a nurse, a teacher, two teen internet magicians and five small cottages that are home to somebodies whose lives are in transition.  I, of course, have more neighbors, than I’ve mentioned here. I am the only one on my street who, to the best of my knowledge, regularly attends church.  So what?  

So plenty, from my point of view.  All of my neighbors are somebodies who love and are loved.  They are whole and holy somebodies created in the image of God and enlivened by the holy spirit. They are being about the work God has given them to do in our world.  They are loving and serving their neighbors as themselves. For whom and for what reasons is it important for them to go to church?  What does it say about me if I see them as nones?   Please, you tell me. 

The Greek word ecclesia, accurately translated, means “the called out ones”.  It does not translate to “church”.  Kyriakon is the New Testament Greek word for “church” – defined as a building that is used for Christian religious services.

What I take this to mean for myself and my Christian friends is that we are called out to follow in the Way of Jesus; to proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ. . .to seek and serve Christ in all persons; to love our neighbors as ourselves; to strive for justice and peace among all people and to respect the dignity of every human being.*

A super majority of my neighbors do not go to church.  From that fact, am I then to conclude that they are not building up the Body of Christ in the world?  I think not. We are all beloved children of God.  We are all beloved Somebodies. 
Not one of us is a Nones.  

Oh, by the way, use of the word “un-churched” makes me twitch, too.  Does it you?


MaryAnn

* Extrapolated from BCP, p. 305

No comments:

Post a Comment