Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Call of Discipleship

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

When I first joined the Episcopal Church, I realized two things. First, I was struck by how much we read the Bible. Not only do we include multiple readings from Scripture in every service, a good portion of the liturgy is directly quoted from the Bible.

Second, I was equally amazed by the lack of familiarity with the Biblical text itself in many Episcopal circles. The general scope of its history, a sense of its larger story, or an ability to locate texts and stories were not skills often in the purview of adult education classes. I wondered how a tradition so permeated with the Bible could have so little working knowledge of it.

I was raised on the Bible, steeped in the Bible; I gained my sense of identity from the Bible and found my own story mirrored in its text. Perhaps the one greatest gift of growing up evangelical was that it gave me a love for the Bible. What if people said that about Episcopalians, about all Christians? As I seriously questioned dominant evangelical interpretations of Scripture—salvation and ethics that are solely personal and not collective, atonement that is vengeful and not in solidarity, an eschatology that is futuristic and not immediate—I found myself turning back to the Bible for answers.

It was Desmond Tutu who said; “There's nothing more radical, nothing more revolutionary, nothing more subversive against injustice and oppression than the Bible.” A people who know their own story through the story of the Bible will be a people on fire, a people prepared to change the world.

What if what we need for renewal is not another program, not plans for church growth, not a better church structure, but simply a commitment to discipleship, a discipleship grounded in the scriptures? A discipleship that wrestles with the words of Jesus, that hears the voice of the ancient prophets, that locates our story in the great story of liberation? A discipleship that calls all of us to follow Jesus and be transformed by the living word?

I believe our churches are hungry for such discipleship.


Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I am guilty of knowing my way around the Bible but not inside it. I remember when an evangelical pastor commiserated with me when I was in seminary by saying, "I remember seminary. It was really hard. All those verses to memorize!" I have some of those verses memorized - maybe the ones that are in the BCP. But give me a random quote and I can't tell you where to find it. I can tell you what story it is in and what Jesus or the prophet was trying to say or was talking about when he (usually) said it, but I can't give you chapter and verse. But I can tell you how the Israelites suffered in Egypt and about how the followers of Moses resisted their own liberation. I can tell you about the faithfulness of Ruth and Naomi and Mary and Elizabeth. I can tell you about the times of the exile. And I can tell you about the miracles and solidarity of Elijah and Elisha. I can tell you the hard commandments of Jesus and his denunciations of religious hypocrites. And I can tell you about the love of God. Because all of those I've felt in my lived life, not because I have memorized them. I believe our churches and the people in them are hungry to hear the stories and how they apply to their lived experiences. And they will share God's love as disciples if they feel it in their lives and in their church communities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am the same way. I have never been the best memorizer in the world and my chapter and verse is a bit rusty. I too have found my story in the Bible and THAT is what makes it powerful. I work to help others find their story in the Bible too. Thank you, Josefina, for your faithful witness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Deacon Sarah! I came to the Episcopal church not knowing the Bible from a Roman Catholic tradition. When I confessed my biblical ignorance (except for the major stories like David and Goliath, The Exodus, Christmas and Easter) I was immediately challenged by my Rector to read Scripture daily for myself, form my own opinion, read scholar's opinions, listen to God speaking to me from the pages and then share it with my newborn child. I had never owned a bible. I own a few different translations now, but more importantly I love reading God's words. I can't imagine not reading Scripture daily. I have come to love sharing God's word to new Episcopalians in particular, but also to anyone who will listen while I clean their teeth. :)
    Discipleship for me is sharing the good, no GREAT news in all parts of Scripture and helping others discover their story and then helping them share that good news too.

    ReplyDelete