Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Silent Treatment

Recently my fourth grader’s teacher has adopted a new disciplinary approach in response to talkative children – the silent treatment. He will go for an afternoon or an entire day without speaking to the class, and simply writes instructions and lessons on the overhead. This is very disturbing to my daughter and her friends, who wonder why exactly he is being quiet, who in the class misbehaved, whether they did something wrong, and when will their teacher begin talking again. The lack of interaction and communication with the teacher they look up to is disorienting and upsetting.

As I thought about this dynamic, I realized that I have from time to time felt this way about God. While I don’t think God is withholding communication and connection as a disciplinary tactic, I sometimes cannot hear or connect with what He may be trying to say. Often it feels like a barrier or wall is interrupting that flow of insight, guidance, comfort, and strength I have felt in the past. And as with my daughter, this makes me anxious.

Being cut off from connection with someone you have long relied on is confusing. But with God, unlike with the teacher, I know the barrier is not of His making but of mine. I know He is constantly reaching, caring, trying to connect with me. All I can do in those times is continue to pray and move forward with faith that the connection will ultimately be restored.


Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment